CAMRA’s objectives are to act as champion of the consumer in relation to the UK and European beer and drinks industry. It aims to:
– Maintain customer rights
– Promote quality, choice and value for money
– Support public houses as a focus for community life
– Campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
– Seek improvements in all licensed premises and throughout the brewing industry
– CAMRA also seeks to promote real cider and perry through a sub-organisation called APPLE. Like ale, these are traditional British drinks and like ale, the traditional product is very different to the “dead” version.
CAMRA also lobbies at European level – the Commissions competition division is always interested in the tied house system, reform of the UK excise duty system will require EC approval, European legislation affects ingredients, labelling and other such issues.